Re: BUG #4838: Database corruption after btree_gin index creation

From: Daniele Bortoluzzi <bortoluz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4838: Database corruption after btree_gin index creation
Date: 2009-06-10 06:38:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

[...]
> I cannot replicate this problem based on the little information
> provided.  The GIN bug we found a couple of days ago would explain
> the "tuple offset out of range" errors, and if you had had Asserts
> enabled it would explain Assert failures; but I don't see that it
> explains a segfault.  Can you still reproduce this with CVS HEAD,
> and if so would you submit a test case?  Or at least a stack trace
> from the crash?

I tried to replicate the error with a little set of data (our db
weights ~700MB) but I could not achieve it.
Now I'm checking out from the CVS server, will post a new message
today or at least tomorrow.

If I cannot reproduce the error, what is the best way to catch the
stack trace? Do I have to recompile with --enable-debug?
I read this article:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ#What_debugging_features_are_available.3F
but I never debugged postgresql with gdb. Can you give me some hint?

I am sorry for the megadelay. Thank you for supporting.