Re: Poor Performance on a table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Poor Performance on a table
Date: 2004-12-02 19:36:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc> writes:
> I have a table in my production database which has 500k rows and
> from the pg_class it shows the number of "relpages" of
> around 750K for this table, the same table copied to a test database
> shows "relpages" as 35k. I run vacuumdb on the whole
> database (not on the table individually but the whole database) daily.

You're obviously suffering serious table bloat :-(. Depending on how
heavy the update traffic on that table is, it might be that once-a-day
vacuum is simply not often enough. Another likely problem is that you
need to increase the FSM settings (how big is your whole database?)

> Is there any way to fix this problem ?

VACUUM FULL will fix the immediate problem. You might well find CLUSTER
to be a faster alternative, though.