Re: shrinking the postgresql.conf

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shrinking the postgresql.conf
Date: 2005-08-08 16:25:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> My actual point was that we could put a lot of the options in a global
> table that could be adjusted versus having the flat file.

[ shrug... ] Then we would have two incompatible mechanisms instead of one.
(We can't eliminate the flat file completely, for the simple reason that
some of the settings have to be accessible before the database is up enough
to read a table. Much less *write* a table ... how would you do initial
configuration in such a setup?) And a table would be less friendly than
a flat file in terms of documentation, flexibility for adding user
comments, etc. I can't get excited about this.