Re: plz unsubscribe me

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, rama krishna <arkr505(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2006-08-30 16:55:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> Bill Moran wrote:
>> Instructions are in the mail headers of each message:

> Actually it is quite ridiculous that we expect someone to read the mail
> headers.

Those headers are really there for mail programs to read. On my MUA
(a several-years-old version of exmh), messages containing these headers
causes an additional menu entry to appear, with List/Unsubscribe and
some other options. I suppose there are still people using mailers that
don't know about RFC2369, but considering that that standard was
published in 1998, there's not a whole lot of excuse for that.

In any case, we also expend bandwidth on a couple of footer TIPs that
remind people how to unsubscribe. Maybe one of them should explicitly
say that mailing to the list is not the way.