Re: not exactly a bug report, but surprising behaviour

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: not exactly a bug report, but surprising behaviour
Date: 2003-02-05 19:23:01
Lists: pgsql-general

> Ok, I have a copy of postgres built with -pg now. I'm running grpof on the
> gmon.out file but all I'm seeing is this:

> I assume this is only the postmaster initialization as I've run a smaller
> version of the job which took 8 minutes. Is there an easy trick to getting
> gmon.out output from a specific backend process?

Two things: one, backends dump gmon.out into $PGDATA/base/yourdb/,
whereas the postmaster dumps into wherever you started it (it never does
chdir IIRC). Two, if you're on Linux you must compile postmaster.c with
-DLINUX_PROFILE, or you won't get any profiling timer interrupts in
child processes.

Your sample looks like the second problem...