Re: Can't Build 7.3.4 on OS X

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hunter Hillegas <lists(at)lastonepicked(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Johan Henselmans <johan(at)netsense(dot)nl>, Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Can't Build 7.3.4 on OS X
Date: 2003-09-20 20:37:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hunter Hillegas <lists(at)lastonepicked(dot)com> writes:
> I cannot build the latest release on OS X Jaguar.
> Running GCC 3.3 from Apple:

It seems "-traditional-cpp" has become nontraditional in 3.3. Or
possibly Apple changed their system header files in a way that broke
that preprocessor. What's certain is that gcc 3.3 rejects some of
the Darwin header files when using -traditional-cpp. This is not our
fault ;-).

It seems to work okay if you change -traditional-cpp to -no-cpp-precomp
in src/template/darwin (you will need to rerun configure afterwards).

Experimenting, I find that Apple's gcc 3.1 and 3.3 both build PG fine
with that switch. Their latest update of gcc 2.95 no longer seems to
work at all (it generates invalid assembler code for xlog.c).

I tried removing the cpp option entirely, but that blew up in other
places, and I have no interest in figuring out why just now.

Is anyone on the list still running OS X 10.1, or anyway still using a
version of the OS X developer tools older than the Dec 2002 release?
It would be good to check if -no-cpp-precomp creates any problems on
any release that anyone still cares about. For the moment, I've made
src/template/darwin unconditionally use -no-cpp-precomp, but we could
probably hack it to use -traditional-cpp if there's still any interest
in Darwin compiler versions that don't recognize -no-cpp-precomp.