Re: This mail list and its policies

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)ultimeth(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: This mail list and its policies
Date: 2003-09-20 20:45:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 12:53:12 -0700,
"Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)ultimeth(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thursday, Sept 18 Bruno Wolff said:
> >One option for you is to use the list address in the from header when
> >posting to the list. That will hide your address and not break
> >replies. Most likely the list checks the envelope sender address to see
> >whether or not the message needs moderator approval. So you should be
> >able to have your messages go through right away if you keep the envelope
> >sender address the same as your subscription address.
>
> Do you know of any eMail client that can be configured to do such a
> thing? If so, I'm instantly in love ...

You should be able to use send-hook in mutt to do this. You need to set
up a default send-hook and one that checks for sending to each postgres
list you are subscribed to. You can have it set the from address to
the list for the various list cases and to your normal address the rest
of the time. Probably the envelope sender address will come from your
login name being appended to the host name without you doing anything
more.

> Or even better, an SMTP daemon that can be configured to do it in rewriting
> rules. I used to use Sendmail, but am now using Postfix. Suggestions
> welcome!

That really isn't the right place to do it. Sendmail needed to do that because
it was written in an era where email commonly had to move between different
email networks and the messages needed to be reformatted as they moved from
network to network. For the vast majority of the cases today, that doesn't
need to happen. That is why recent MTAs don't mess with headers very much.