Re: \du quite ugly in 8.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \du quite ugly in 8.4
Date: 2009-10-21 14:54:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The reason it's an improvement of sorts is that there are now more
> possible attributes, and if we had kept adding columns it would have
> become wider than 80 columns.

Yeah, 8.4 has two more possible entries, and adding them as separate
columns would have guaranteed that the display doesn't fit in 80 cols.

> If there's a way to have the attributes as a single line,
> comma-separated, but that wraps around when exceeding the terminal
> width, I'm all for it. We could also use that logic in a lot more
> \-commands, so it'd be worthwhile I think.

The hard part of that is the "wrap" bit. I wonder how badly we need
that part though. If we just made it comma-separated instead of
newline-separated, it would be a trivial code change, and I bet it would
still look okay for the typical case where the user has only a subset of
these properties.