Re: \du quite ugly in 8.4

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \du quite ugly in 8.4
Date: 2009-10-21 13:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Could someone clarify why this (from PG 8.4)
>
> # \du
> List of roles
> Role name | Attributes | Member of
> ---------------+-------------+------------
> admin | Create role | {}
> : Create DB
> postgres | Superuser | {}
> : Create role
> : Create DB
> someotheruser | | {}
> someuser | | {}
>
> is an improvement over this (from PG 8.3)

The reason it's an improvement of sorts is that there are now more
possible attributes, and if we had kept adding columns it would have
become wider than 80 columns.

If there's a way to have the attributes as a single line,
comma-separated, but that wraps around when exceeding the terminal
width, I'm all for it. We could also use that logic in a lot more
\-commands, so it'd be worthwhile I think.