Re: Supporting Windows SChannel as OpenSSL replacement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Supporting Windows SChannel as OpenSSL replacement
Date: 2014-06-09 14:18:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> writes:
> I've been looking at Windows' native SSL implementatation, the SChannel
> API. It would be nice to support that as a replacement for OpenSSL on
> Windows. Currently, we bundle the OpenSSL library in the PostgreSQL,
> installers, which is annoying because whenever OpenSSL puts out a new
> release that fixes vulnerabilities, we need to do a security release of
> PostgreSQL on Windows.

Does SChannel have a better security track record than OpenSSL? Or is
the point here just that we can define it as not our problem when a
vulnerability surfaces?

I'm doubtful that we can ignore security issues affecting PG just because
somebody else is responsible for shipping the fix, and thus am concerned
that if we support N different SSL libraries, we will need to keep track
of N sets of vulnerabilities instead of just one.