Re: Passing composite types to plpgsql functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jeff Waugh" <jaw(at)ic(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Passing composite types to plpgsql functions
Date: 2001-05-11 05:40:38
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jeff Waugh" <jaw(at)ic(dot)net> writes:
> /doc/html/plpgsql-description.html states that:
> "Parameters to a function can be composite types (complete table rows). In
> that case, the corresponding identifier $n will be a rowtype, but it must be
> aliased using the ALIAS command described above."

That's out of date as of 7.1 --- you can alias a rowtype parameter,
but you don't have to.

> What syntax do I need in my function declaration to receive a parameter of
> something%ROWTYPE ?

You use the table name as a datatype. Trivial example:

regression=# create table foo(f1 int, f2 int);
CREATE
regression=# insert into foo values (1,2);
INSERT 723473 1
regression=# insert into foo values (7,11);
INSERT 723474 1
regression=# create function foosum(foo) returns int as
regression-# 'begin
regression'# return $1.f1 + $1.f2;
regression'# end;' language 'plpgsql';
CREATE
regression=# select *,foosum(f) from foo f;
f1 | f2 | foosum
1 | 2 | 3
7 | 11 | 18
(2 rows)