Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL seminars

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: newsreader(at)mediaone(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upcoming PostgreSQL seminars
Date: 2001-05-11 03:12:47
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

> The kind of seminar I'm interested is like a short course
> in "how to optimize the database/queries etc" to
> an audience with a good technical background but
> without formal training in database design/theories etc.
> Sort of like one day classes they give at usenix
> conferences... Come to think of it someone
> from the core developers of postgres should give
> such classes at one of the usenix conferences. Mind
> you I've never been to any of those conferences.
> But it's very tantalizing to me especially I can
> get a student discount.

I do have a new performance tuning article at:

http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/performance/index.html

and my book does have a chapter on performance:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html

but certainly it would be nice to have such a class. There will be some
stuff at the O'Reilly Conference in July.

> What you have up on the web page seems to be geared
> towards the managers who will make purchasing decision
> and who won't actually be involved in designing and implementing
> the real thing. IMO.

The first half is for managers, the second for developers, but they are
not going to go very deep.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us