Re: [HACKERS] ERROR: "Database 'products', OID nnn, has disappeared from pg_database"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Barnes, Sandy (Sandra)" <Sandy(dot)Barnes(at)Honeywell(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ERROR: "Database 'products', OID nnn, has disappeared from pg_database"
Date: 2001-02-03 20:04:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Barnes, Sandy (Sandra)" <Sandy(dot)Barnes(at)Honeywell(dot)com> writes:
>> Normally, this works fine, but sometimes we get the error
>>
>> "Database 'products', OID nnn, has disappeared from pg_database"
>>
>> where nnn is some number, and forever afterwards we can't access a
>> database with that name. Removing and recreating the database doesn't
>> help. Neither does vacuuming it.

Try vacuuming pg_database (after connecting to template1 or the other
always-there db). 7.1 will be a little smarter about this, but the
setup you describe is still pretty risky IMHO. You have a nonvolatile
reference in pg_database to a volatile database in the RAM filesystem,
so a system crash will leave you with a dangling reference...