Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 packages for Fedora 11?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tim Landscheidt <tim(at)tim-landscheidt(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 packages for Fedora 11?
Date: 2009-07-13 15:59:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Tim Landscheidt <tim(at)tim-landscheidt(dot)de> writes:
> I'm in the process of upgrading a Fedora 10 box to 11. So
> far, Fedora's repository carries only 8.3.7. I am a bit he-
> sitant to use the yum.pgsqlrpms.org repository's packages as
> I like to keep the number of repositories as small as possi-
> ble. So:

> - Is there any ETA for official Fedora 11 packages?

Yes: never. The Fedora package series for F-11 will be 8.3.x and
nothing but. F-12 will have 8.4.x.

> - If I'd use yum.pgsqlrpms.org's packages, can I later re-
> place them with Fedora packages without any surprises?

Well, that would be going back a major PG version, which is just as
problematic as going forward a major version, in fact more so.
If you don't mind a dump/initdb/reload cycle then you can try it,
but there's no guarantee an 8.4 pg_dump file will load into 8.3
without some manual editing.