Re: uuid_hash declaration

From: Mel Flynn <mel(dot)flynn+pgsql(at)mailing(dot)thruhere(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: uuid_hash declaration
Date: 2009-07-13 16:00:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 13 July 2009 06:54:54 Tom Lane wrote:
> > If that's the problem, my 2c is that uuid_hash is too generic a name to
> > export and we should change ours.
>
> Too late for existing releases (since it would force initdb to fix the
> pg_proc entry). We could change it in HEAD, but how much will that
> really help?

Well, atm I'm looking for what should be in #else clause or elsewhere in the
code if I did something like:
#ifndef HAVE_UUID_BSD
extern Datum uuid_hash(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
#else
extern Datum uuid_hash2(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
#endif

that would still make the uuid_hash available in the SQL language. I'd be
happy to write some migration utilities, once I get more familiar with the
code. Right now, I'm just trying to make a drop-in replacement for the ossp-
uuid module.
--
Mel