Re: WIP: About CMake v2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date: 2015-08-28 16:56:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I wonder about two other things: one is speed of the build (not that
> currently it's all that great, given all the mess with recursive make
> invocations, but perhaps it can be even worse); the other is how ugly
> the generated files are going to be, and are we going to carry them in
> our repo -- right now we only have configure, but are we going to keep
> extra files to cope with builds in systems that don't have cmake
> installed (as we cope with missing bison and flex)?

As near as I can tell, the generated files are platform-specific.
(They're certainly different for Unix and Windows; the overview
I'm looking at doesn't say in so many words whether they can vary
at a finer grain, but I bet they do.) So I'm afraid cmake would
likely become a build requirement, even for tarball users. That
is probably not a show-stopper, but it's a point against the idea.

I have no idea whether switching to cmake would be a good thing or not.
It's possible that it'd end up being even uglier than our current
autoconf+gmake+msvc-scripts mess ... although when phrased that way,
that sounds like a pretty low bar to clear. Anyway, if YUriy is willing
to do the preliminary investigation, let's see what he comes up with.