Re: patch - Report the schema along table name in a referential failure error message

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: George Gensure <werkt0(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch - Report the schema along table name in a referential failure error message
Date: 2009-11-15 21:55:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> George Gensure wrote:
>> This begs a bigger question: what's *really* easy or low barrier to
>> entry for very light contributors like myself?

> The TODO list at <http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo> doesn't seem to
> have a huge number or [E] items. Maybe we need a bit of a brainstorm to
> come up with a few more.

The real problem with the entry that George picked up on was that it was
misdescribed and mislabeled as easy because whoever put it in ignored
the fact that there was not a consensus to do a half-baked fix ...
this is a problem with a wiki TODO list :-(

> The one I just started talking about (using param names in SQL
> functions) might not be terribly hard, depending on your coding skills,
> since it would be making use of the new parser hooks feature that Tom
> has just done the heavy lifting on.

It is easy ... as long as you don't move the goalposts by insisting on
inventing some nonstandard syntax. I would envision that given
create function f (x int)
you should be able to refer to the parameter as "x" or "f.x" if you
need to qualify it. This matches plpgsql practice and won't surprise
anybody, and can be implemented with a couple hours' hacking I'd guess.