Re: Non-colliding auto generated names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Non-colliding auto generated names
Date: 2003-02-18 14:43:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> And if your 'name prediction' code can't deal with collisions, then
> it needs help.

THe point is that right now, if you know the CREATE TABLE command, then
you can compute exactly what index names it will assign --- no outside
knowledge about the previous state of the database is required.

I'm not sure how significant that really is to anyone, but it is
something that we'd be giving up.

And as I said, I don't have a better answer. I'm just expressing
vague unease, in hopes that it might spur someone to think of another
way. I'm willing to go with this way if we don't find another.