Re: ARC patent

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ARC patent
Date: 2005-01-19 04:26:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I have already
>> suggested to core that we should insist on 8.1 not requiring an initdb,
>> so as to ensure that people will migrate up to it easily from 8.0.

> So is it firm policy that changes that require a catversion update
> cannot be made during the 8.1 cycle?

Not yet --- I suggested it but didn't get any yeas or nays. I don't
feel this is solely core's decision anyway ... what do the assembled
hackers think?

> (Needless to say, it would be good to get this sorted out early on in
> the 8.1 development cycle, to avoid the need to revert patches at some
> point down the line. For those of us working on large projects that will
> definitely require an initdb, it would also be good to know -- as this
> policy will likely prevent that work from getting into 8.1)

Yes, it has to be decided one way or the other soon.

One way to have our cake and eat it too would be for someone to
resurrect pg_upgrade during this devel cycle. Anyone feel like
working on that?