Re: ARC patent

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ARC patent
Date: 2005-01-19 14:20:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> writes:
> > So is it firm policy that changes that require a catversion update
> > cannot be made during the 8.1 cycle?
>
> Not yet --- I suggested it but didn't get any yeas or nays. I don't
> feel this is solely core's decision anyway ... what do the assembled
> hackers think?

Don't know if I count, but I've noticed a number of things that people
are working on that require initdb's and I think they'd be nice to allow
in 8.1 unless the 8.1 cycle is *very* short. I'd also like to get group
ownership & roles in soon, if possible (and if I find enough time to
finish and properly test it).

> One way to have our cake and eat it too would be for someone to
> resurrect pg_upgrade during this devel cycle. Anyone feel like
> working on that?

Of course, this would be really nice too..

Stephen