Re: Date and Time or Timestamp?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Stewart <dstewart(at)aquaflo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Date and Time or Timestamp?
Date: 2003-04-30 15:39:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

> And, on the up side, if the various *nixes fix their time zone behaviour past
> 2037, then Postgres will be automatically fixed as well, yes?

Depends what the new API looks like. I would think that a sane answer
is to redefine time_t as a signed 64-bit value, preserving the 1/1/1970
zero origin, but who knows what the library people will really do?
glibc's recent move to redefine time_t as unsigned (losing support for
all pre-1970 dates) doesn't give me high confidence in their design
sensibility.

In any case you can bet that we'll have some work to do when a better
API is available.