Re: [HACKERS] External Sort timing debug statements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] External Sort timing debug statements
Date: 2005-10-03 14:36:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> The following patch implements a fairly light set of timing statements
> aimed at understanding external sort performance. There is no attempt to
> alter the algorithms.

What do people think about putting something like this into 8.1?
Strictly speaking it's a new feature, but the patch seems pretty
noninvasive, and we'd be much more likely to get data points if the
code exists in the mainline release than if people have to patch
their copies.

> postgres=# set debug_sort=true;

I'm a bit inclined to call it trace_sort instead, and to document it
under "Developer Options". Comments?