RE: RE: new maintainer for the ODBC driver?

From: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "'kovacsz'" <zoli(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>, Jamie Walker <jamie(at)sagaxis(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: RE: new maintainer for the ODBC driver?
Date: 2000-11-01 17:06:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> > Could someone package the next release of the driver with a newer
> > version of InstallShield? The version used for the current
> driver does
> > not support the options for silent unattended installation.
> This would
> > be a great help for automated updates and installations on LANs.
> Maybe VC++ 6 Enterprise contains this new InstallShield (Dave?). But,
> until we don't have a maintainer, we are happy to be able to
> put a new DLL
> together at all... :-)

Visual C++ 6 comes with something known as "InstallShield for Microsoft
Visual C++ 6 (Build-130)". This *appears* to be equivalent to InstallShield
5.10.

Another option would be to look at the Microsoft Visual Studio Installer.
It's free if you have Visual Studio (VC), and it create setup files that use
the Windows Installer. Windows Installer is what you are *supposed* to use
if you write for Windows 2000, and it works on other Windows platforms as
well. There is a version of InstallShield that will produce Windows
Installer files as well, but I it's $$$.
AFAIK, Windows Installer natively supports scripting of installations, so
that should work.

All this is assuming somebody has the time to do more than just recompile
the current setup scripts, of course.

//Magnus