Re: 8.4 open items list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 8.4 open items list
Date: 2009-04-02 14:43:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Personally I think the naming decision is close enough to be a coin
>> toss, and so either choice is fine with me. However, I think it is
>> Clearly Unacceptable for createdb's switches to be spelled differently
>> than the underlying SQL command's options. So it's not really "let's
>> not change this" but "which one do you consider it more important to not
>> change"?

> pgAdmin uses the SQL commands, not the external commands. IIRC the only
> external commands that are used are pg_dump[all], pg_restore, pg_ctl and
> initdb. Is initdb on the list of tools that might be changed?

Hm, that's a good point. initdb has these switches (and has had 'em for
a good long time):

--locale=LOCALE set default locale for new databases
--lc-collate=, --lc-ctype=, --lc-messages=LOCALE
--lc-monetary=, --lc-numeric=, --lc-time=LOCALE
set default locale in the respective category for
new databases (default taken from environment)
--no-locale equivalent to --locale=C

So createdb is consistent with longstanding history in initdb, and
that seems to mean that we should leave it alone and change
CREATE DATABASE to match (modulo underscore instead of dash).