Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode
Date: 2003-03-20 04:49:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The fix only changes the 'make it all one transaction' behavior. It
> does not effect sending multiple queries in a string ---

Yes it does! The results may change. Also the behavior if later
commands in the string fail will be different (roll back earlier
commands vs not).

> But I do think the roll-queries-into-one-transaction is
> strange and should be removed with the patch.

I disagree. This is long-established behavior and no one has complained
about it. We have gone out of our way to preserve it in past changes;
I don't like suddenly deciding that backwards compatibility is
unimportant. Especially not if only one person is in favor of the change.