Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)spamcop(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Issues with 1.12.0 (Mac OS X)
Date: 2010-09-23 20:29:24
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello.

I have upgraded today to version 1.12, hoping to solve a long standing problem regarding lost connections.

The issue is that when the Mac goes to sleep, all the connections are lost. This obviously happens quite frequently, so I expected there to be a way to re-connect, like there is in other interfaces such as DBVisualizer etc., and saw that this is supposed to be addressed in revision 1.12.

However, support is very partial. One is offered the option to reconnect only from the browser window. If I have a grid editor and a query editor opened, they don't share the same connection, they have their own, and I have no way of re-connecting these.

You might say "Well, just close and re-open the windows". But on the query window, this requires me to go through the process of saving aside my query, closing, opening, and opening any additional connections I had there, then pasting the saved query back in. On the grid window, it requires me to set filters again, and I also lose the carefully adjusted column widths. Any window that gets its own connection should offer the option to reconnect it when it is lost.

In addition, I'm not sure the reconnect code is very reliable even in the browser window. Pgadmin3 crashed twice after I reconnected, though it is completely stable when I start the application anew and have never lost the connection. I will try to see if this is consistent

In addition, I'd like to comment on a minor issue: the choice of icon for this version. Although the outlined elephant is very stylish, on the Mac transparent parts of the icon cannot be clicked (in the Finder), which makes it difficult to point and hit a non-transparent pixel to run the application. One needs to be very precise...

Another problem I have is probably with the underlying GUI toolkit you are using, so please tell me who I should address this bug to: All text fields and text areas don't use Apple's built in text engine anymore. As a result, right-to-left text is very hard to edit. The calculation of the position in the text based on the position of the cursor is wrong, so if you double click on a word, a whole differet word gets selected and the text becomes distorted, and if you put the cursor anywhere and start typing, the typed text gets inserted at a different position... So either I copy the text, edit it elsewhere and paste it back, or I just clear it and have to enter it from scratch.

Version: 1.12.0
Operating System: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4)
Issues:
1. Inability to restore connections in windows other than the browser.
2. Column width settings get lost when grid editor is closed (they always have, but this makes losing the window a real PITA).
3. Restored connections in browser window cause instability.
4. New icon is not very practical on the Mac.
5. GUI text engine doesn't handle RTL text properly.

Thank you for your time!

Herouth