Re: postpone next week's release

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-core <pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postpone next week's release
Date: 2015-05-29 18:53:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 02:02:43PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we should postpone next week's release. I have been hard at
> work on the multixact-related bugs that were reported in 9.4.2 and
> 9.3.7, and the subsequent bugs found by code-reading, but getting them
> all fixed by Monday doesn't seem realistic. Such fixes should have
> careful review, and not be dashed into the tree under time pressure.
>
> We could do the release anyway to relieve the pain caused by the
> fsync-pgdata hard-failure problem, but it seems to me that if we do
> that, we're just going to end up having to do yet another release
> almost right away. I think it would be better to wait and do one
> release that fixes both sets of issues.

It does seem wise to make sure we have all these items fixed. We have
PR'ed the recovery failure issue so I think we are good at this point.
I see having to put out another multi-xact-only fix release the week
after as being a bigger negative.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +