Re: Trust intermediate CA for client certificates

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Ian Pilcher <arequipeno(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, stellr(at)vt(dot)edu, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trust intermediate CA for client certificates
Date: 2013-03-18 12:55:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Craig, all,

* Craig Ringer (craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> PROBLEM VERIFIED

Let me just say "ugh". I've long wondered why we have things set up in
such a way that the whole chain has to be in one file, but it didn't
occur to me that it'd actually end up causing this issue. In some ways,
I really wonder about this being OpenSSL's fault as much as ours, but I
doubt they'd see it that way. :)

> What we need to happen instead is for root.crt to contain only the
> trusted certificates and have a *separate* file or directory for
> intermediate certificates that OpenSSL can look up to get the
> intermediates it needs to validate client certs, like
> `ssl_ca_chain_file` or `ssl_ca_chain_path` if we want to support
> OpenSSL's hashed certificate directories.

Makes sense to me. I'm not particular about the names, but isn't this
set of CAs generally considered intermediary? Eg: 'trusted', '
intermediate', etc?

Thanks,

Stephen