Re: Comments on system tables and columns

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Comments on system tables and columns
Date: 2011-05-05 18:38:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Thom Brown's message of lun mar 28 08:14:07 -0300 2011:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I notice that none of the system tables or columns thereof bear any
> > comments. Is this intentional, or an oversight? I would have thought
> > comments would be useful since the column names aren't exactly always
> > self-explanatory.
>
> Bruce has been working on changes to have catalog objects (tables, views
> and columns) contain comments, but he deferred it to 9.2 because it
> involved nontrivial pieces of infrastructure (mainly to avoid
> duplication with the SGML catalog documentation).

Attached are diffs that change the Makefile and initdb, and a perl
script to pull the system view comments out of the SGML docs. I need to
do more work to pull stuff for the system tables. This does work in
testing.

I will work on this more for 9.2.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/pgpatches/sysviews.diff text/x-diff 5.4 KB
unknown_filename text/plain 1.5 KB