Re: Feature proposal

From: Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature proposal
Date: 2010-08-26 19:30:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Heyho!

On Wednesday 25 August 2010 09.15:33 wstrzalka wrote:
> I'm currently playing with very large data import using COPY from
> file.
>
> As this can be extremely long operation (hours in my case) the nice
> feature would be some option to show operation progress - how many
> rows were already imported.

Recently, I've found (on Linux, don't know if other OSs export this
information) /proc/<pid>/fdinfo/<fd> extremely helpful. It tells you the
position of the file pointer of file number <fd> in process <pid> (I guess
for a COPY import this would be the postgresql backend handling your import
session.)

Unlike other options, you can also use this if you only notice that the
process is long-running after you've already started it.

Of course it probably will not work if the file is mmapped or otherwise not
read in a sequential fashion.

cheers
-- vb

--