Re: pg_upgrade and extra_float_digits

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade and extra_float_digits
Date: 2010-05-17 01:09:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > Uh, that is not actually a problem. You just need to set
> > extra_float_digits=-3 to create the dump file, which is only done once
> > for each major version. You can _load_ that dump file into an
> > unmodified old cluster and test just fine. I will write up some
> > instructions in the next few days.
> >

> You are missing the point I was making. A buildfarm run does not
> normally have available to it any binaries for a version other that the
> one it is building. There is no notion of a multi-branch buildfarm run.
> Each run is for a particular branch and is a separate miracle. So I'm
> not concerned about the structure of the dump file but about what will
> be used to load it into an old cluster during a buildfarm run.

Thank you. I understand now.

Imagine finding out on the build farm right away when we break binary
compatibility --- that would be cool. However, that might be overkill.
My testing seems to be working just fine. In fact the only diff I see
is:

< CREATE PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql;
---
> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql;

and that is a known change. I might end up adding my regression dump
files to our ftp site (400k for each major version), and just having
people use them for testing.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com