Re: pg_upgrade versus MSVC build scripts

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade versus MSVC build scripts
Date: 2010-05-12 21:57:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Hmm. I had been thinking the other way, but I'll see if that can be
> >> made to work.
>
> > Not sure this will work on its own with the MSVC build system - I don't
> > think it's set up for sub-modules.
>
> Oh, right. Since the entire point here is to *not* require new
> buildsystem infrastructure for pg_upgrade, I'm back to thinking that
> a separate contrib module is the way to go.

Uh, if you do 'make install' in the pg_upgrade directory, would it also
install the shared lib contrib? If not, it seems kind of complicated
from a user perspective. Can't we pass a 'make' down into a
subdirectory and have a separate Makefile just run? pg_migrator had
this rule:

all install installdirs uninstall distprep clean distclean maintainer-clean:
$(MAKE) -C src $@
$(MAKE) -C func $@

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com