Re: PL/pgSQL stored procedure returning multiple result sets (SELECTs)?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Vladimir Dzhuvinov <vd(at)valan(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL stored procedure returning multiple result sets (SELECTs)?
Date: 2008-10-15 21:48:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Below is a very good summary of the limitations of our function
capabilities compared to procedures, e.g.:

o no transaction control in functions
o no multi-query return values without using special syntax

I don't think we can cleanly enable the second capability, but could we
allow transaction control for functions that are not called inside a
multi-statement transaction?

FYI, right now when you call a function all statements are assumed to be
in a single transaction, and allowing transaction control inside a
function would mean that each statement in a function is its own
transaction _unless_ transaction control is specified. There would
certainly need to be special syntax to enable this.

Is there a TODO here?

-- Start of PGP signed section.

-- End of PGP section, PGP failed!

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com