Re: Keeping creation time of objects

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Keeping creation time of objects
Date: 2008-09-10 16:05:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 10:50:57PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > When people aren't keeping track of their DDL, that is very
> > strictly a process problem on their end. When people are shooting
> > themselves in the foot, it's a great disservice to market Kevlar
> > shoes to them.
>
> I can't believe anyone is going to stop tracking their DDL because,
> ooh goody, now we have pg_class.creation_time. They will look at
> and say either "oh, this is nice" or "oh, this is useless" and go on
> about their business.

I can easily believe that a "feature" like this might "help" them make
the decision not to start out of a false sense of security.

> I try pretty hard not to shoot myself in the foot. But if someone
> comes up to me and offers me some shoes that are have the same cost,

Not the same. This is extra code, so it will provide both new places
for bugs and extra maintenance costs.

> appearance,

Clearly not the same.

> comfort-level,

False comfort is bad. Putting an anesthetic instead of support in a
shoe billed as orthopedic may make customers "comfortable," but when
they continue to damage their foot with it, it's not a feature.

> and durability as regular shoes but are slightly more bullet
> resistant, should I refuse them on principle?

See above.

> Why?

See above.

Cheers,