Re: proposal sql: labeled function params

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: proposal sql: labeled function params
Date: 2008-08-15 13:03:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Friday, 15. August 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > How is this supposed to interact with argument names ?
>
> Yeah, the real problem with this proposal is that it conscripts a syntax
> that we'll probably want to use in the future for argument-name-based
> parameter matching. The proposed behavior is not nearly as useful as
> that would be.

I am not at all convinced about the proposed feature, but is that really a
syntax we would use for function calls with named parameters?

Random googling shows me that Oracle appears to use a syntax like

name => value

This is actually a feature that I would like to see implemented soonish, so if
anyone has input on the possible syntax consequences, please comment.