Re: Linking backend in one piece

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linking backend in one piece
Date: 2008-02-22 16:04:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Freitag, 22. Februar 2008 schrieb Alvaro Herrera:
> Hmm.  Do we need the text file?  I was kinda hoping we could just aggregate
> each subdir's OBJS into a big variable listing all the needed files, and
> then invoking the linker with that.

Well, my goal here was that we could use both ways of building for a while
because we have no experience with how long command lines and argument lists
we can handle portably.

Eventually, we could ideally transform the subdirectory Makefiles from
independently callable Makefiles to mere include files so we have only one
big dependency tree at the top, which would get rid of the annoying and
time-consuming directory traversal. This, however, raises other issues, such
as that some compilers do not support creating output files in
subdirectories. I tried to support all of this in parallel but didn't
succeeed without creating a big mess. We can always come back to that later.

--
Peter Eisentraut