Re: build environment: a different makefile

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Paul van den Bogaard <Paul(dot)Vandenbogaard(at)sun(dot)com>
Subject: Re: build environment: a different makefile
Date: 2008-02-06 22:08:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Paul van den Bogaard wrote:
> The SunStudio compiler we are using fortunately has an option for
> this. Unfortunately there are restrictions. One restriction I face is
> its inability to deal with "ld -r"s. These are used in the build
> environment to create all the SUBSYS.o object files.
>
> I was hoping someone in the community already has a makefile that
> "just" creates object files from C-sources directly that I can use to
> try out the effect of in-lining to the performance of postgres.

I don't know if anyone has a makefile for it, but the following seems to work
for me:

pgsql/src/backend$ cc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -g -L../../src/port -Wl,-rpath,'/home/peter/devel/pg83/pg-install/lib' -Wl,-E $(find -name "*.o" | grep -v SUBSYS | grep -v conversion_procs) ../../src/timezone/SUBSYS.o ../../src/port/libpgport_srv.a -lxslt -lxml2 -lpam -lssl -lcrypto -lgssapi_krb5 -lcrypt -ldl -lm -lldap -o postgres

If you find that the optimizations you are hoping for are useful, I'm sure
we could put an option of that sort somewhere in the makefiles.

--
Peter Eisentraut