build environment: a different makefile

From: Paul van den Bogaard <Paul(dot)Vandenbogaard(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: build environment: a different makefile
Date: 2008-02-06 17:19:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Currently trying to "enhance" the way we can make binaries that run
on Solaris. One thing I found was a scalability bottleneck in the
use of the ProcArrayLock. (this one has also been reported by a
couple of my colleagues).
One big user of this lock is GetSnapshotData. After it has taken
this lock it does its work and releases it again. While it is holding
the lock it is not doing any system calls and the lock holding
process is barely preempted.

The only way to make this code faster is making the code use less CPU
cycles to achieve its goal. One way is having the compiler do some
strong code in-lining.
The SunStudio compiler we are using fortunately has an option for
this. Unfortunately there are restrictions. One restriction I face is
its inability to deal with "ld -r"s. These are used in the build
environment to create all the SUBSYS.o object files.

I was hoping someone in the community already has a makefile that
"just" creates object files from C-sources directly that I can use to
try out the effect of in-lining to the performance of postgres.
Any other hints to achieve my goal are welcome too, of-course. Please
note that in-lining is done in both the compiler and the linker.

Thanks,
Paul

---------------------
Paul van den Bogaard
Paul(dot)vandenBogaard(at)sun(dot)com
ISV-E -- ISV Engineering, Opensource Engineering group

Sun Microsystems, Inc phone: +31
334 515 918
Saturnus 1
extentsion: x (70)15918