Re: guc patch: Make variables fall back to default values

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: guc patch: Make variables fall back to default values
Date: 2007-03-13 10:54:18
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 08:22:17AM +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:
> The code seems to assume that all custom variables are strings. There are
> about half a dozen Assert(variable->vartype == PGC_STRING) throughout the
> patch. That's not true, plperl's use_strict is a boolean and we have
> DefineCustome*Variable functions for each type of variable. Perl bombs
> because plperl.use_strict is a boolean.

The attached patch removes those Asserts.

But this is not the whole story. I wonder why setting "plperl.use_strict"
is supposed to work at all? Where is the corresponding definition of
"plperl" as a custom variable class? I can add it manually to
postgresql.conf and make the regression tests work but is this the intended
way?

Joachim

Attachment Content-Type Size
guc-string-asserts.diff text/x-diff 2.6 KB