Re: Index Anding

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: "Hiltibidal, Robert" <Robert(dot)Hiltibidal(at)argushealth(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index Anding
Date: 2007-01-31 15:52:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

You probably want to take these questions to the -general list, or
-admin, in future. That said. . .

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 08:56:21AM -0600, Hiltibidal, Robert wrote:

> Does postgres provide for index anding?

Yes. See
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/indexes-bitmap-scans.html>.
You don't need to do anything special.

> How does postgres handle tablespaces? I currently have my indexes going
> to one table space with my data going to a different table space. Is
> this possible in postgres?

Yes. See
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/manage-ag-tablespaces.html>

> Does postgres provide 64 bit support? If so is there a precompiled 64
> bit version for AIX? I have the 32 bit GCC and can compile 32 bit. 64
> bit GCC I have not gotten stabilized. (I cold use a tip in that
> direction if anyone lese has experienced similar issues)

I know we've managed to get it to work using gcc, but I haven't had
to do it in a while (ask on -general or -admin, I suggest). More
important is to make sure you tell the compiler to use all the
memory. For reasons that are completely beyond my ken, AIX imposes a
memory limitation on every program at compile time. There are some
hints about this in the FAQ_AIX.

When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do sir?
--attr. John Maynard Keynes