Re: psql possible TODO

From: Stephen Harris <lists(at)spuddy(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql possible TODO
Date: 2006-12-06 04:41:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 05:34:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Stephen Harris <lists(at)spuddy(dot)org> writes:
> > Silly: You could even do \r xyz and load the buffer with the last line
> > beginning xyz
>
> We've got that: control-R xyz.

Not quite. "Beginning" is the difference. It's subtle and, as I said,
a silly idea. I was just taking the idea of history recall and applying
the ksh syntax to our commands line :-)

> The thing I'm having a hard time with here is the notion that command
> number is a convenient way of identifying prior commands. It seems like
> an idea that should have gone out with punched cards.

I've been a Unix SA for 16 years now and recalling commands by number is
still a convenient thing, especially when you have 2 or 3 multi-line
statements which are 90% the same.

--

rgds
Stephen