Re: Ding-dong, contrib is dead ...

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, ams(at)oryx(dot)com
Subject: Re: Ding-dong, contrib is dead ...
Date: 2006-09-05 19:30:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin,

> well, I'm confused now. Tom said that cleaned up functions might be
> sneaked into 8.2, which is what prompted my question.

You're correct, he did. Tom?

> If that's the
> case I'm considering putting something together quickly. It's no big
> deal to me either way really. However, it would really be a shame to
> drop the contrib module and leave 8.2 without a way of easily use them
> (userlocks being, imho, the #1 greatest undiscovered feature in pg).

Well, all I'm dealing with is that the *existing GPL code* can't stay.
Let me know if Abhijit's version (or something else) gets accepted and
I'll kill the pgFoundry project.

Overall, though, I think we should really wait until 8.3 for core merge and
API improvements. Wasn't Tom just complaining about last-minute features,
and not enough code reviewers?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus