Re: Going for "all green" buildfarm results

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Going for "all green" buildfarm results
Date: 2006-08-18 13:50:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 02:46:39PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 17. August 2006 17:17 schrieb stark:
> > Instead I just added a command to cause psql to wait for a time.
>
> Do we need the full multiple-connection handling command set, or would
> asynchronous query support and a wait command be enough?

I am interested in this too. For example the tool I posted a while ago
supported only this. It controlled multiple connections and only
supported sending async & wait.

It is enough to support fairly deterministic scenarios, for example,
testing if the locks block on eachother as documented. However, it
works less well for non-deterministic testing. Yet, a test-suite has to
be deterministic, right?

From a client side, is there any testing method better than async and
wait? I've wondered about a tool that attached to the backend with gdb
and for testing killed the backend when it hit a particular function.
By selecting different functions each time, once you'd covered a lot of
functions and tested recovery, you could have a good idea if the
recovery code works properly.

Has anyone seens a tool like that?

Have a nice day,