Re: Allow commenting of variables in postgresql.conf to - try 4

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Subject: Re: Allow commenting of variables in postgresql.conf to - try 4
Date: 2006-07-24 17:47:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 10:55:47AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> #2: That variable can *not* be changed by a reload.
> Notice-level message is sent to the log notifying the admin that the
> change requested could not be performed. This change could be
> either a revert to reset-value if it was removed/commented-out or an
> explicit change request to a different value.

Right. And what I am voting for is to not only issue such a message once but
every time a SIGHUP is received as long as the actively-used value differs
from the value in the configuration file. One of the reasons for having this
fall-back-to-default-value stuff is to make sure that an admin can restart a
server and be sure that it will behave in the same way as when it was
shut down.

Moreover it's just clearer to send the notice message every time a SIGHUP is
received since every reload is the admin's request to apply all of the
values in the configuration file independently of what has happened in the
past.

Joachim