Re: Where do I execute the DISCONNECT command?

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: adey <adey11(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where do I execute the DISCONNECT command?
Date: 2006-06-28 00:04:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 11:22:18AM +1200, adey wrote:
> Please could you tell me where I must execute the following to disconnect
> idle transactions in Potgres:-
>
> EXEC SQL DISCONNECT [connection-name];

This is ECPG syntax; you'd use it in client programs that embed SQL
commands alongside C code.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ecpg.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ecpg-disconnect.html

> I've tried variations of this syntax in PGAdmin, psql, and the Linus command
> line in both v8.1.4 and v7.4.2 - all of which fail.
> COuld you also tell me what "connection-name" is? I've assumed it's the PID
> as listed in pg_stat_activity, but haven't been able to test this as I can't
> get the syntax and environment correct.

See "Connecting to the Database Server" in the ECPG documentation.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ecpg-connect.html

I'm guessing you're looking for something else. Could you explain
a bit more about what you're trying to do?

--
Michael Fuhr