Where do I execute the DISCONNECT command?

From: adey <adey11(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, postgresql-l <postgresql-l(at)Groups(dot)ittoolbox(dot)com>
Subject: Where do I execute the DISCONNECT command?
Date: 2006-06-27 23:22:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Please could you tell me where I must execute the following to disconnect
idle transactions in Potgres:-

EXEC SQL DISCONNECT [connection-name];

I've tried variations of this syntax in PGAdmin, psql, and the Linus command
line in both v8.1.4 and v7.4.2 - all of which fail.
COuld you also tell me what "connection-name" is? I've assumed it's the PID
as listed in pg_stat_activity, but haven't been able to test this as I can't
get the syntax and environment correct.