Re: GPL Licensed Files in 8.1.4

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GPL Licensed Files in 8.1.4
Date: 2006-06-07 18:33:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 10:50:46AM -0400, Charles Comiskey wrote:
> PostgreSQL 8.1.4 appears to have 2 GPL licensed files according to
> licenses embedded in the source. In both cases, the files have had a

I should like to point out (in addition to Peter E's comments) that
these are both files in contrib/. Nothing in the main code tree is GPL,
as far as I know, and nobody that I know of expects a complete
PostgreSQL installation to include everything in contrib/

At the same time, it strikes me that at least the userlock stuff, and
maybe dbmirror as well, are candidates for pgfoundry rather than
contrib/

Users never remark, "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard
to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."
--Damien Katz