Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Leonel Nunez <lnunez(at)enelserver(dot)com>, Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, "Randal L(dot) Schwartz" <merlyn(at)stonehenge(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"
Date: 2006-02-14 18:45:33
Lists: pgsql-general

* Marc G. Fournier (scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org) wrote:
> As of this moment, if Oracle buys Zend, they could effectively kill PHP
> ... the core engine that PHP is built around is a Zend engine, so if they
> were to revoke the license for that, PHP would be dead ... kinda like
> MySQL with InnoDB ... now, there was talk at one point time with
> replacying that engine with Parrot, so I'm not sure how hard/long it would
> take for them to do so if Zend got pulled out from under them ...

Has there been any actual test (ie: court case) of a piece of software
being released under an open source (BSD, GPL, whatever) license and
then the licensor revoking that and stopping everyone from distributing
the code? Personally, I have no idea at all if this is something which
can be done and upheld or not and I'm kind of curious about it. That
would be a very different (and much more difficult for the rest of us)
situation from releasing future versions as closed-source only or just
not releasing new versions.

Thanks,

Stephen