Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Leonel Nunez <lnunez(at)enelserver(dot)com>, Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, "Randal L(dot) Schwartz" <merlyn(at)stonehenge(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"
Date: 2006-02-14 18:15:01
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 10:51, Leonel Nunez wrote:
>> Rich Shepard wrote:

>>> From what I read a few days ago, Oracle is negotiating with
>>> Sleepycat, Zope
>>> (is that the PHP developer's name?), and one other OSS developer.
>>> Nothing is
>>> yet signed, and they could all fall through.
>>>
>>> Rich
>>>

>> Zope is a Python framework
>> Zend is for php
>
> Also, given the license of PHP, which is NOT like the GPL, but much
> closer to the BSD license, I doubt Oracle could manage to buy it and
> kill it or hide it or whatever.

As of this moment, if Oracle buys Zend, they could effectively kill PHP
... the core engine that PHP is built around is a Zend engine, so if they
were to revoke the license for that, PHP would be dead ... kinda like
MySQL with InnoDB ... now, there was talk at one point time with
replacying that engine with Parrot, so I'm not sure how hard/long it would
take for them to do so if Zend got pulled out from under them ...

----