[Pljava-dev] table level triggers?

From: dgovoni at metadapt(dot)com (dgovoni at metadapt(dot)com)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] table level triggers?
Date: 2005-11-13 03:29:09
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi all,
? ?Pardons if this topic is located somewhere I have missed or has been
already discussed, but is there a plan to ever have table-level triggers? My
understanding is that current triggers fire on rows when an insert,
update or delete occurs.
? ?I was thinking it would be nice to have one at the table level (called once
for each result set on a table) with special attention to before/after
"reads". This would allow privileged access control mechanisms to be
developed for tables and pluggable via pljava. I know that there are some
inside the database already, but with a custom trigger, it could do things
like call out to a directory or some external resource to determine
visibility.

Is this even a good idea?

Thank you!
Darren